February 23rd, 2017Follow on Twitter
The honor of attending a service academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation.
Members of Congress may nominate candidates for appointment to four of the five U.S. service academies: U.S. Military Academy (USMA), West Point, NY; the U.S. Naval Academy (USNA), Annapolis, MD; the U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA), Colorado Springs, CO; and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), Kings Point, NY. The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, CT, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
Congressman Moulton may nominate up to ten individuals for each vacant academy slot alloted to our district. To request a Military Academy Nomination from our office, please complete the application process outlined below. Best wishes to you as you pursue your goal of attending one of the U.S. Service Academies and serving our country.
Each applicant for a nomination must meet the following eligibility requirements as of July 1st of the year of admission to an academy:
- Age: Be at least 17 years old, but not have passed the 23rd birthday
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen
- Marital Status: Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents
- Residence: Must reside within the boundaries of the 6th Congressional District of Massachusetts
- Skill / Fitness: Must meet the medical, physical, and academic requirements of the Academy
Applications can be downloaded here.
Nominations are based on a “whole person” evaluation. Factors such as academic achievements, extra-curricular activities, leadership skills, physical aptitude, character, and motivation are taken into consideration and compared with other applicants.
Seniors in high school who wish to apply to a service academy must submit their nomination packet to the District Office no later than November 4, 2016.
A complete nomination file consists of the following items:
- Current photo
- High school transcript
- American College Testing Program (ACT) results and/or College Board Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) results
- Resume of extracurricular activities
- An essay stating why you want to attend a service academy (500 words or less)
- Minimum of three letters of recommendation
Applicants typically seek letters of recommendation from teachers, counselors, employers, coaches, clergy, and scout leaders.
A specific recommendation form is not required. A letter of recommendation is sufficient.
Applicants who submit a completed nomination file will be scheduled for an interview which will occur in December.
Applicants who receive a nomination will be placed among a select group of nominees, and the academy of your choice will make the final decision. If selected, applicants will receive an offer of admission (an appointment) directly from the academy. Academies will begin to notify candidates of their admission status in February. All offers of appointment are generally sent out by May.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a nomination?
Members of Congress may nominate applicants who meet the eligibility requirements established by law. A candidate may seek a nomination from the following:
- A member of the U.S. House of Representatives who represents the congressional district in which the candidate resides
- Both U.S. Senators from his or her state
- The President or Vice-President of the United States
- The Secretaries of the Army, Navy, or Air Force
- The Superintendents of the service academies
Are the requirements the same for all of the service academies?
No. Although many of the qualifications are similar, each academy operates under its own admissions guidelines. Visit the academy of your choice via the websites noted for each academy’s particular admissions qualifications. It is not necessary to seek a nomination to the Coast Guard Academy, as the U.S.C.G.A. accepts candidates based on their own testing criteria.
What if I choose more than one academy? Will I be limited to a single nomination?
No. You can be nominated to multiple academies depending on how well you have competed among this year’s pool of candidates. It is also possible to win multiple appointments.
Who should I contact with further questions?
Feel free to call our Salem District Office at 978-531-1669.
Get Updates from Seth
How Can Seth Help You?
In this section, you will find information on the many ways my office can help you and your family. Below is a list of the issues we commonly address. If you cannot find what you're looking for, please either email me or call my Salem District Office and we will do our best to answer any questions you may have.