Moulton Announces Grants for Salem and Burlington Fire Departments
Latest in a series of recent wins for MA-06 fire departments
Salem, MA – Today, Representative Seth Moulton announced the Salem and Burlington fire departments will receive equipment grants totaling $173,222.72 from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
"When I served in Iraq, I learned what it's like to go into harm's way without the right protective equipment. In those days, we didn't have the right armor for our truck," Congressman Seth Moulton said. "The firefighters in our community shouldn't experience a feeling like that as they confront the pandemic. These grants will help keep them healthy and safe."
The money is from The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, better known as the CARES Act. Congress included money to pay back local agencies for expenses they incurred responding to the coronavirus pandemic. FEMA is responsible for distributing the money to fire departments and the states. The grants Moulton announced today will reimburse fire departments for emergency medical PPE and supplies to disinfect and decontaminate equipment. Fire departments can also use the funds for new equipment that will help them respond to future emergencies.
The $163,636.36 grant for the Salem Fire Department will go towards a firefighter breathing apparatus.
The $9,586.36 grant for the Burlington Fire Department will go towards reimbursing the department for PPE purchases.
This is the latest round in a series of recent grants Moulton helped secure for local fire departments. Moulton and the state’s congressional delegation recently announced grants for the following departments:
- Ipswich, MA – Federal share of $44,761,90 for an air compressor – breathing apparatus refill system
- Reading, MA – Federal share of $88,555.45 for power stretchers and ambulance power load systems
- Rowley, MA – Regional grant award with Hamilton and Boxford, MA – Federal share of $713,291.43 for portable radios
- Swampscott, MA –Federal share of $37,619.05 for a protective gear washer and dryer
The prior round also included training grants for local fire departments including:
- Lynnfield, MA – Fire Department - $49,533.33
- Essex, MA – Fire Department - $2,926.67
- Manchester by the Sea, MA – Fire Department - $5,035.31
- Nahant, MA – Fire Department - $16,682.32
- Boxford, MA – Fire Department - $4,784.72
More information regarding FEMA's Assistance to Firefighters grant programs can be found here: https://www.fema.gov/welcome-assistance-firefighters-grant-program.